4/16/2012

April 16, 2012

We read some good books this week.  Each week at the library I choose a few books and let Stella choose a few books.  Usually 4 each, so that I remember how many we have, and I can keep track of them all!



Stella's favorite this week seems to be Ponyella, by Laura Numeroff and Nate Evans, pictures by Lynn Munsinger.
 The story is very much Cinderella.  Stella likes that the pony is pretty, and "the princess, I really love princesses."
How very 4 year old of her!  It's a cute little book.  We did talk about how the other ponies weren't very kind.



Tuscanini by Jim Propp, illustrated by Ellen Weiss was a fun little book.  I loved the idea of an elephant using his trunk to direct an "imaginary orchestra" and sharing music with the zookeeper.  Stella loved that the elephant stopped the "2 bad men." Bruce really seemed to enjoy this one too. It was definitely geared for the 2-3 age group, but it also provided the opportunity to talk about what a conductor does, and why.  Yay for books that encourage us to learn more about something.



Princess Hyacinth (the SURPRISING TALE of the GIRL who FLOATED) Florence Parry Heide, illustrated by Lane Smith

We both enjoyed this fun story about a ... girl who floated.  Stella liked the clothes and the floating. I liked the aspect of friendship and the idea of embracing who you are, and making your own fun.



And My favorite of the week, Kate and the Beanstalk by Mary Pope Osborne, illustrations by Giselle Potter.   I loved this story.  The twist on Jack, the cleverness of the heroine,  the fantastic illustrations, the slight plot twist my little one didn't see coming.  The desire of the heroine to do what was right.  Things I wasn't sure about:  The Giant's rhyme : Fee Fi Fo Fum'un, I smell the blood of an English woman, be she alive or be she dead I'll grind her bones to make my bread.  I wasn't sure Stella would like that.  She has it memorized, it didn't faze her.  Also, the giantess' reaction to the rhyme is less than respectful.  But it saves an "innocent", who, is really not so innocent, you know, stealing things and all that!  Stella like the giantess and how Kate got the three treasures.

What did you read your kids this week?

These links are my afilliate links.

No comments:

Post a Comment