6/13/2012

June 12

The books we read this week, were the same a s last week.  It was a busy week, and we never did make it to the Library.  I'm sure glad we got some good books!  We also had a few on the strictly average side this week.  Lets start with those.

First up is A Cookie for the President, by Anita F. Bott and illustrated by Patricia Satchfield Collins. It was cute, the kids seemed to enjoy it.  The ever growing deserts and the fun pictures kept them interested.  It's also a kid book, it had fudge, cupcake, donut, pie and cookie!   And it ends with kids.  I didn't love this one the way the kids did, but it wasn't horrible either.

Next  is Aunt Pitty Patty's Piggy  Retold by Jim Aylesworth and illustrated by Barbara McClintock.  It was good.  I didn't know the story and I thought it was cute, but it did nothing for my kids.  We only read it once, because it just didn't strike their fancy.  It's possible that on a different week it would have.  The illustrations were wonderful. Which is good because I got another book by the same author and illustrator!  We read Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  The pictures in this were different, and a little stranger than the other books, but still very good.  This may be the best version of Goldilocks that I have ever read.  I like that it begins and ends with the girl in her own home, with her mother and that the moral of the story is to obey your parents (by remembering the rules)!

We read Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman and illustrated by Stephen Gammell.  I thought it was cute.  A story about the grandkids loving to see their grandfather forget he's old and perform for them in the attic.  Fun, sweet, and tender.  We all enjoyed this one.

My favorite of the week was Mama Played Baseball.   It starts with the girl helping her mom to practice for tryouts for womens baseball during the war and ends with the return (happy) of the father from war.  *Warning, if you are emotional anyway, this book will make you cry.

Finally, Stella's Favorite this week was The Berenstain Bears' New Neighbors.  I always enjoy these too.  There clean and relateable and fun.  No complaints from this Mama!

What did you read this week?

 All links are my affilliate links.

No comments:

Post a Comment