7/23/2012

Mr Popper's Penguins


Mr. Popper's Penguins was such a cute book.  It was a full fledged chapter book that we read 1 or 2 chapters at a time.  We mostly read it at bedtime and it was such a fun thing to do with the kids.  It had less than 1 picture per chapter which was a bit of a stretch for the little ones.  Bruce, age 2, couldn't sit still, but he did insist on being in the room with us, so he heard it all.  Stella, age 4.5, took about 3 chapters maybe 4, to really become interested.

This was a really nice early chapter book.  It was not a library book, but a hand-me-down.   I love hand-me-downs.  I'm not sure anymore where it came from.  But in any case cute story, silly people, sillier animals, and a bit of education.  The language is a bit old-fashioned.  Not difficult to read, but some of the words are not in common use any longer.  I love when I get to teach because of a story!

Both kids enjoyed the book.  I enjoyed the book.  There was not a single questionable scene or word in the whole 20 chapters.  I'm a fan.  I would recommend this book for a read aloud with the 4-5 age group or up.  It would also be good for a young reader!

I hope you enjoy it!


What chapter books do you read your little ones? Or do you remember from your own childhood?

1 comment:

  1. I just bought this book to use as a reading groups book at school...I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete