8/22/2012

The Books from August 15

We had some really fun books this week.  In fact, they were all good.  That's rather rare!  This week felt busy and we read a little less than is typical, but we still read plenty!  We started the week with the very fun A Camping Spree With Mr. Magee .  It was a cute little story about a man and his dog, a camping trip and a near-sighted bear.  Lots of fun, with great rhyming text!


 Next up is Jack and the Giant: A Story Full of Beans .  Again cute.  A fun little cowboy twist on Jack and the Beanstalk.  We really enjoyed how silly this was.  The pictures were fabulous and Jack was a great little hero.

Oh, Boxes for Katje .  I really liked this one.  So did Stella.  I know because she started using some of the names of the characters in her playing!  I was admittedly a bit out of sorts this week, but this one made me cry.  In a good way.   It's a story based on true events from after WWII.  Two little girls become pen pals and it affects both the Dutch Village, and American town of the children.  It was a sweet story that reminds you that there are good people in the world.  And also how you can repay kindnesses even when it seems as though you have nothing.

And last but not least, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic and Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle .  We read the first Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book last week and loved it so much that we got two more this week!  I love these fun little chapter books.  I think they are ones I would eventually like to own.  In addition to being fun for both Stella and I, these are the first books to elicit the ever-so-special and much sought after exclamations of  "One more chapter please!" from Stella.  I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment